Sunday, August 3, 2008

Piece of Humble Pie

Heavenly Father is incredibly good at reminding me how blessed I am....especially when I whine the loudest, which has been a lot lately! It just seems like I cant catch a break with any aspect of my life these days....minus my wonderful husband. Then my friend Brittney sends me this email......

There was a blind girl who hated herself because she was blind. She hated everyone, except her loving boyfriend. He was always there for her. She told her boyfriend, “If I could only see the world, I will marry you.”One day, someone donated a pair of eyes to her. When the bandages came off, she was able to see everything, including her boyfriend. He asked her ”Now that you can see the world, will you marry me?” The girl looked at her boyfriend and saw that he was blind. The sight of his closed eyelids shocked her. She hadn't expected that. The thought of looking at them the rest of her life led her to refuse to marry him. Her boyfriend left in tears and days later wrote a note to her saying: “Take good care of your eyes, my dear, for before they were yours, they were mine.”

Life Is a Gift
Today before you say an unkind word - Think of someone who can't speak.
Before you complain about the taste of your food - Think of someone who has nothing to eat.
Before you complain about your husband or wife - Think of someone who's crying out to God for a companion.
Today before you complain about life - Think of someone who went too early to heaven.
Before whining about the distance you drive Think of someone who walks the same distance with their feet.
And when you are tired and complain about your job - Think of the unemployed, the disabled, and those who wish they had your job.
And when depressing thoughts seem to get you down - Put a smile on your face and think: you're alive and still around.

Even though it was a forward....it got me thinking and its true. Things are not going the way I would like, but I am incredibly blessed and probably more than others....and definitely more than I deserve by my actions!

I also wanted to share with you some words of wisdom from the past for anyone feeling like me. I have these goals that I am trying to obtain. I dont feel like they are selfish goals, i believe they are what Heavenly Father has been directing me towards, but they just have not been working out. So I whined to my dad and he had lots of similar stories and some far worse to show i wasnt alone....but he told me to look up this talk.
http://lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=024644f8f206c010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD&locale=0&sourceId=fa8318e7c379b010VgnVCM1000004d82620a____&hideNav=1
See Dad, I do listen sometimes :P
It is an amazing talk by Brother Hugh B. Brown of the Quorum of the Twelve. It talks about how the Lord is the gardener and he knows how he wants to shape and trim and mold us and he sees the bigger picture. Its not a fun lesson to learn, but definitely an important one! Anyways...my deep thoughts for the day since I obviously am still being taught and drilled with this lesson.

3 comments:

Clint and Jeni Hatch said...

Oh Stef! That was such a great post! I found myself tearing up and agreeing with everything! Life always seems to find a way to work its self out though. Don't worry!

Krysta said...

wow stef...i am in tears. i have also had a really hard run of luck these last few months and just yesterday i broke down to my hubby nathan about everything that is going on. i was whining about how hard life is sometimes. reading this post really hits home for me today and i love that it makes me really put my petty problems into prospective. i will never forget that when my problems feel overwhelming that it could be way worse!! thanks stef!

John Michael and Nauni said...

Stef! I loved your post and the story. It really touched me! We are all so blessed, JM and I are so grateful each day for the big and little things the Lord always blesses us with! Don't you worry, He knows your heart and you will have all the happienesses you are searching for...the Lord is wise and knows how to make us the MOST happy...so He plans, and we wait...and one day we will have more joy than we could have ever imagined. Patience little lamb. I love ya!!!!!! xoxo -Naun