Monday, July 11, 2011

Such a Special Service Project

During Girls Camp, We had the amazing opportunity to work on a service project that has very special significance for us.  All the young women (about 300 plus)  helped to create bereavement boxes to donate to the hospital.  This was not necessarily done in our boys' name, but it was their memory and our birthday project that promoted and gave the example for these special gifts.  We were so very honored to have our sons' memory be the example to promote such love and service for many others who will suffer so greatly. 
 Each of the young women took part in the project.  Some made the scrapbooks.  These books hold very sweet poems that brought peace and love to my heart when it was the most broken.
 My young women were especially sensitive and sweet during this project.  Each came and gave me hugs and showed their love, affection and support and cried sweet tears right along with me.  I have to be honest, I bawled with every hug.  Of course I was sad, I will always be sad and miss my babies, but there was an incredibly sweet spirit there as these Young Women worked to serve others that will have such a difficult road, and it just meant so much that the feelings simply could not be contained.
 They each put so much love into their projects and I am forever grateful for their service.  Even though none of these boxes were for me, I truly felt their love and service towards me as they worked to serve others.
 While some worked on the sweet memory books, Others sewed tiny blankets to wrap those most precious babes for their families to hold and cherish.
 I wish that there was not a need for any of this.  I wish a mother never had to know the pain and heart ache of losing a child.  But because this sadness and tragedy does happen, I am so grateful for people such as these beautiful young women who can give the gift of memories to women who will have only that... memories.

 Other Young Women worked on creating homemade bath salts to help those mothers find some comfort and relax after such a tragic experience.  These gifts, no matter how big or small, truly mean so much!
 Our oldest young women at the camp worked to put together all the items into beautiful boxes.  Within the boxes were the scrapbooks, the blankets, the bath salts, home made beanies (which some girls also worked on sewing) as well as a journal, pen, candy and a sweet, small stuffed animal. 

Together, the Young Women created 48 boxes!  It was amazing the power they held.  In just 2 hours, these amazing young ladies created one of the most memorable gifts that could be given to a grieving mother, and they created enough to touch 48 lives.  What a truly precious blessing.  I am so very grateful for my experiences at camp and this tender experience will forever engrave these wonderful young women to my heart.  Thank you ladies for your love, for your service and for your care.  You are amazing and you have no idea how much of a difference you have just made to so many women, and to so many families.  

I am also grateful that the camp leaders are allowing me to join them when we deliver these boxes to the hospital and that they have chosen to donate these gifts to the same hospital that took such good care of me after losing our sweet babes.  I am still constantly afraid that it will be as if my sweet boys never existed because their time was so short, but I am forever grateful for those that allows us to use their precious memory to serve and show love to others.  We will always remember you Ethan and Tommy and will work to be worthy to be your parents.  All our love to you and these sweet young women.  Such a blessed experience.

2 comments:

Carl and Amber said...

Love it! My absolute favorite YW project was "Dress an Angel". We made various sized clothing and wraps that fit babies from the size of your hand to full-term. It turned into a ward project, and we even heard of a couple baptisms that took place because of tags that we put on each blanket and outfit. You truly touch lives, in so many ways!

Alishia said...

It was such a sweet night! As the night started and the service project was announced, I realized that none of us leaders were sitting by you to "hug" you through the night. It didn't take long, though, to know that wasn't going to matter. The girls just took over for us. They love you, Stefani!! They knew just what to do. For me, sitting too far away to help, I was in tears as I watched our girls hug you with tears in their eyes. It is a night I will never forget!!!