Sunday, January 24, 2010

Forever in our Hearts

It is with very heavy hearts and tear filled eyes that we introduce to you, our precious little twin boys, Ethan Dere and Tommy Mons. They were born still on December 3, 2009 at 24 and 1/2 weeks.

Ethan Dere Larson & Tommy Mons Larson

I hope you will understand that although this is an incredibly difficult post to write, I need to show the world my sweet little boys. I need you to understand if possible how much I love them and how much I miss them, and how important it is to me that their existence is recognized and not forgotten. I apologize if this post is difficult to read, I understand.... it is difficult to write. But these boys are my babies and it is important to me to preserve these memories and to never forget.

Obviously from previous posts, the entire pregnancy was anything but easy or typical. There were complications from the very start, but we were certain things were going to work out in the end. To our utter devastation, we were wrong and the absolute worst thing imaginable happened, we lost our beloved little boys to an identical twin disorder known as twin to twin transfusion syndrome. For those of you who are unfamiliar with this, it is a connection between the babies in which one baby takes the nutrients of the other. We were not able to find this out until after the death of our little ones. The entire pregnancy we believed the boys were fraternal twins, but tests showed they were identical twins that split very early in the pregnancy giving the appearance of fraternal twins. They had two sacs but shared one placenta, which is very very rare. Because the boys were so far along, a normal delivery was needed rather than just a surgery, so we went through the traumatic process of delivering our babies knowing we would not be bringing them home. The boys were born 3 hours apart after 16 hours of labor. Ethan was born first just before 11am weighing just over half a pound and measuring a mere 9 inches in length. Tommy was born just before 2pm weighing only 2.3 ounces and measuring only 6 inches. Tommy was the first baby we lost at 21 weeks and because of such was much smaller than his brother. Once they were here, we were able to spend 2 beautiful days holding them and spending time with them. Even though their spirits were already gone, I cherished the time I could hold them and rock them and feel like their mother.

And then we began the hideous task of preparing for their burial. We were beyond blessed in this trial with the generosity of others. Eldon's work, Stone Creek Furniture made a beautiful wooden casket as a gift for the boys. It was absolutely perfect and nicer than anything we could have purchased. My work generously paid for the burial. Our sisters Michele and Angela purchased Ken Doll Tuxedos for the boys to wear... They looked so cute even though the doll clothes were still too big!

Eldon's mom and my mom worked together to line the casket and Eldon's mom made beautiful baby blankets for both boys. Many others helped by helping us get flowers, create the programs, and find the perfect songs and poems to make the day very special. The funeral service was very sweet and although I cried through the entire thing, I know it was the most sweet and beautiful service we could provide for our precious little sons.


I honestly can say that this experience is the absolute most difficult thing that has ever been required of me. I have never felt so much sadness or pain as I have losing my babies. I am trying to find a way to heal, but it is a very long road that I imagine will take my entire life. One thing I can say, is that despite being taken through utter despair, I was not left to endure this trail alone. Even still 6 weeks later, we are being shown the Lord truly does love us, and so do many others. We have been absolutely amazed and grateful for the abundance of love and charity that has been shown to us during this difficult time. Even and especially small things such as a hug or a quick note have meant the most and really do make the burden a bit lighter to bare. I am especially grateful for the nurses at Banner Desert Hospital and for their kindness. Their thoughtfulness allowed me to have mementos such as molds of my babies hands and feet and pictures of foot prints as well as many many pictures that I will treasure forever. And to everyone else who called, emailed, text, visited, brought meals, prayed and even thought about us during this difficult time....Thank you. I am still overwhelmed by everything and probably still in denial and am just trying to find the strength to acknowledge the reality of the situation and that I am not going to wake up from this nightmare, so I have not really been ready to taken the steps that I long to, to appropriately express my gratitude, but please know that it means so much, especially now to be loved and thought of and we truly have felt it and are grateful. We are also so very grateful during all of this for the gift of the restored gospel. I simply cannot imagine trying to go through this without the knowledge that Eldon and I have an a marriage that is sealed for time and all eternity. Our family is eternal and I will forever dream of the day when we will be reunited with our precious little boys and we can be a family that is whole once again.

Also, I just want to add from the safety shield of a computer that it is ok to not know what to say, unfortunately there isnt anything that can be said or done to bring my babies back. However, "Im sorry", "I love you", "I m thinking of you" or even just a silent hug means a great deal. My biggest fear is that my babies will be forgotten or it will seem as though they never existed. I need them to be remembered, I need to be able to talk about them, even if it makes me cry, I need to feel like their mother, so please bare with me while I start my journey of healing and be patient with me while I grieve.

27 comments:

amber {and co.} said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
amber {and co.} said...

Hey Stefani, I hope you don't mind that I found your blog from your FB page. I'm not even sure that you remember me (though I know you know Cody), but I just wanted to let you know that my heart truly aches for you. We almost lost our little boy when he was 8 months old, and it was the most painful, devastating experience of my life- I can't even imagine the pain you are experiencing losing both of your boys. Your boys are so pure and so beautiful, and how wonderful that you know you can be with them for eternity, though I know it doesn't take away the heartache in this life. Your story has really touched me and I'm sure may others as well, and because of that your boys will not be forgotten. Cody's and my thoughts and prayers are with you and your husband!

Barb said...

Oh Stef - you are so brave!! What a neat tribute to them - and the strength you and Eldon have to bear such a burden. You will be blessed for your trial, and will get to be with your babies again!! Thankyou for posting, it was so nice to see your boys, and to hear your testimony of the next life! Please know of our love and prayers for your healing!!

Joanna Brimhall said...

Your boys are beautiful and i am glad you shared those pictures. They are blessed to have you and Eldon as parents for the rest of eternity. We love you and I'm so sorry you have had to experience this. You are in our prayers!

Carl and Amber said...

Oh Stef, I am totally crying. `I have one friend that writes letters to the baby that she lost all the time on her blog. I think that it is totally appropriate. I'm glad that you were able to labor. In my last miscarriage, the laboring helped me a ton in being able to start to grieve. Labor gave me a sense of realness of everything that was happening out of my control. I pray that time will dull your pain, and only the joyful memories will remain!

CASSIE said...

Thank you for sharing such precious and personal pictures. The eternal plan is so amazing and what comfort comes to know you are their mother here and in the eternities. We love you so much!

Scott and Kim said...

Hi Stefi,

I am so glad you shared this, for yourself, your family, and me. It takes a lot of strength to express this, and you will be stronger as you work this out. It is amazing how hard life can be, and how many trials are associated with having children (my hardest trial was a sickness I had after Bryce was born), but it is wonderful to be sealed to our families, so we can enjoy them for eternity, after this life's pain has passed. I hope you know I love you even though I haven't seen you in years....5 minutes :) (do you remember that?)

April Hardy said...

I saw the pics on FB and I love being able to read your words on a blog. Your boys are beautiful, and they will never be forgotten. Drews sister delivered a still born baby boy at 16 weeks, and that was 8 or 9 years ago and she still cries when he gets mentions, so while the pain never goes away I am sure it will get easier with time. You are not alone in this process. I pray H.F. will continue to bless you guys and bring you the comfort you seek. We love you

Courtney said...

Stef, just like you said at the end of your post I really don't know what to say. Nothing that comes to me can even come close to expressing how I really feel. I cried the whole time reading your post. I can't even imagine giving birth and knowing I would be taking my baby home. Your babies will always be remembered and you have some amazing angels watching out for your family. I'm sure they will also watch out for your other children when they come. Eventually you will be with your boys again. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. You are amazing and you can make it through this. Love you!

Matt and Megan said...

Stefani I hope you don't mind I have been checking in on your blog to see how you have been doing. I am truly sorry for your loss. The gospel is so amazing and knowing our Heavenly Father's plan for us is such a beautiful blessing. I pray it may make your burden a little lighter. These little guys are truly blessed to have you two as parents. We almost lost our second son at 31 weeks and again when he was born at 36 weeks. Just preparing myself for that was not easy but my husband had said to me,"If he does not make it this was all he needed, this was his path,he was to gain a body and return to our Heavenly Father. He won't have to face the trials and ugliness of the world." I held on to that thought and knowing Heavenly Father has a plan for each of us. You are a very strong and beautiful mother Stefani and my prayers are with you.

McKell and John said...

Stef, you are amazing. That post was so incredible. I love that you were strong yet so tender. I will never forget your baby boys or what you have gone through. Never. Hope tomorrow is a better day.

Marci said...

I am a friend of Mckell's and just wanted you to know I will be praying for you guys. Your boys are adorable and lucky to have a mom who loves them so much to help them always be remembered.

Gardners said...

You are such a beautiful and strong mother - Ethan and Tommy had the very best for their short time on this earth! They will not be forgotten. I hope peace continually blesses your family in this time of sorrow!

Rushele said...

Thank you so much for sharing your boys' story!
It was very sweet to read your thoughts and the things that were done for you.
I certainly hope that the healing road isn't long for you, you deserve to be as happy as possible!
I love you!!

Jenny Ricks said...

I just wanted you to know that I have been thinking a lot about you. Your post was touching and your sweet little boys will not be forgotten. I have a close friend who just lost her little boy at 21 weeks and also had to deliver him. I also have a neighbor who delivered her full-term baby girl stillborn last week. My sister lost her 3 month old daughter to SIDS. I don't know why these things happen, but I do know I am so impressed by the strength you women have facing the trial of losing your children. Hang in there. You will be a source of strength for others who face similar challenges someday.

Corinne said...

You are so amazing, and an absolute inspiration. I can't imagine what you are going through right now, but I want you to know that I think of you, Eldon, & your sweet boys often. In their short time they have impacted my life so much and I will NEVER forget them. Thank you for sharing those tender feelings and experiences and the pictures of your beautiful boys. All our love to you and Eldon as you work through this grief.

Shasta said...

Hello- Your friend Jen Morrill sent me this link to your blog. I know how you feel about TTTS sideswiping your life. I too had a very rough pregnancy. To top off my pregnancy, my boys were born 12 weeks early. They are still alive though, I just want to send you an ehug. *HUGS* My best friend lost her twins to TTTS this past July. No one suspected and then the rug was pulled out from underneath her. I am so sorry. There is nothing I can say to make you feel any better. It is a rough road to travel. My heart is heavy as I read what you've written. I am so sorry. I wish I could cry with you and give you a real hug.
My personal thoughts on TTTS are that it isn't as rare as we thought and that more publicity about TTTS could help to save a lot of people a ton of grief and pain. I will be praying for you and your husband. Please know you do have another friend out here in VA who is praying for you and who will NEVER forget about you and your boys. Hugs-Shasta

Curtis, Crystal, Vance, Kael, and Merek Birdno said...

Oh I am so sorry you two. I went to school with Eldon and I came across your blog on a friends. I can't even imagine the strength that it must take and I admire you so much for your sweet words. Thank you for sharing your story it strengthens me. All my love and prayers for you both.

Shelly said...

Thank you for sharing your story. Your boys are yours for eternity and this life will seem so short once you get to hold them again. Don't ever feel like you need to censor yourself...anything you need to get out, you should!

Beth said...

Stef, I'm so sorry for your loss. I cried through your whole post thinking of you and the sadness you must feel. I'm still crying. Thank goodness for the gospel and eternal families. I'm glad you feel comfort in knowing you will be with your sweet boys again. Please know that we are thinking of you and that you are loved.

Nic and Jessica Despain Family said...

Hey Stefani, Nic and I just wanted you and Eldon to know that we are so sorry for your loss. I can't imagine what you are going through but I really appreciate your post. I can't even come to compare what you are going through but please know we are thinking and praying for you both! Love the Despain
s

dizzidaisy23 said...

Your boys are beautiful. They are very blessed to have such a wonderful family who will always carry them in their hearts. Thank you for sharing their story.

twinkle twinkle baby, twinkle twinkle said...

I just came across your blog and wanted to tell you that you and your family are in my prayer. I am so sorry for your loss and i am praying for the void in your heart to be filled. Your boys will not be forgotten, they were just to perfect for this world and just need to be here for a short period of time. I am also greatful for the plan of salvation and know that our families are eternal!

DeWitts said...

You both have been on mind my mind often. I am a mother who has lost a lot of her babies also. it has been one of the hardest things i have ever gone through. still to this day my eyes tear up becasue i don't get to kiss on them and rock them to sleep but I do pray for them and know that they are okay because they are with our Heavenly Father. Hugs and i'm so sorry to the both of you.
lots of love,
Marti

Hilary Herrera said...

Stephani,

You don't know me, but I randomly clicked on your blog from another page. Even though I am a perfect stranger, I will never forget you and you boys. Thank you for sharing them. They are so loved, I can even feel it. I hope this doesn't seem creepy. I really don't normally serf blogs. I am just a mom at home and was super bored. I think clicking on your blog was such a blessing to me. Tears ran down my face in your behalf. I will keep you in my prayers.

Sincerely,
Hilary Herrera

Nathan, Bethany, Noah, and Porter said...

Our deepest sympathies to you and Eldon. What precious little darlings.

Rachel Starchman said...

I found your blog through a friends, i'm so sorry about your boys. They were so precious. I wanted to share this quote with you. It has meant alot to my best friend who lost her sweet baby boy at 8 months.
"If you know someone who has lost a child, and you're afraid to mention them because you think you might make them sad by reminding them that they died--you're not reminding them. They didn't forget they died. What you're reminding them of is that you remembered that they lived, and that is a great gift." (Elizabeth Edwards)
Hugs and love. matthewrachelstarch.blogspot.com